Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas and something you don’t want to play around with or guess at. Buildings with gas appliances should be properly maintained and appliances cleaned regularly. You should also install carbon monoxide detectors for safety purposes.

The best way to avoid problems with carbon monoxide is to stay educated and be prepared. At PlumbPRO Services, we help home and business owners across Ambler with gas heating. We know a thing or two about carbon monoxide safety. Here, we’ll share some tips on staying safe in your space.

When the Alarm Sounds

Just as you would immediately react to a smoke detector, when a carbon monoxide detector goes off, it’s time to act. The first thing to do is take your family or staff and evacuate. Carefully and calmly exit the building and walk a safe distance from the house in case of fire or explosion caused by the gas.

Once everyone is safely away from the property, follow these steps.

  • Take attendance: Is everyone safely outside? Do a headcount to ensure you’ve got everyone and nobody was left behind in a bathroom or other out-of-the-way area.
  • Call emergency services: Usually, the fire department is the best team for this job. Explain that the carbon monoxide alarm is going off and that everyone has evacuated the building.
  • Call an expert: Getting a professional in to assess and fix the situation is an important step in this process. They shouldn’t enter the property until emergency services give the okay.

Once inside, open all the windows in the building and turn off the gas (if it isn’t already off). The HVAC expert will assess the damage and determine why the alarm went off and how to remedy it.

If this is your home, you may need to sleep elsewhere for a night or keep the gas turned off until the problem is fixed. If parts need to be ordered for repairs, this could take a while.

If anybody is feeling the residual effects of carbon monoxide, they should seek medical attention right away. Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous, and the effects can be deadly if not treated.

Detectors Don’t Always Work

The first thing to know about carbon monoxide detectors is that they aren’t fail-proof. In other words, there could be a leak, and the detectors don’t go off. Just like smoke detectors, there’s room for error.

The gas detectors are programmed to go off when levels reach dangerous heights. Why? Because there are trace amounts while cooking and heating your home, and most homeowners don’t want the alarm going off every time the stove clicks on.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Leak

If carbon monoxide is leaking in your home, you’ll feel the effects. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning begin with:

  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Fatigue
  • Chest Pain
  • Disorientation

If you, or someone in your home, experiences these symptoms, leave the home and get to fresh air. Call a professional or your gas company, to let them know you suspect a gas leak. Never light the stove, turn on the furnace, or light a match if you suspect a gas leak.

Schedule Annual Maintenance and Cleaning

To prevent carbon monoxide problems associated with your furnace, have the unit properly maintained. Your furnace should be cleaned and inspected once a year. Filters should be changed every three months, especially during the winter season.

If there are potential problems with the furnace that could cause a leak, your HVAC expert will find it. Preventative measures are always preferred to active ones post-leak.

Clean Your Vents and Air Ducts

Along with an annual furnace inspection, you should have air ducts, and vents cleaned. Once a year, vacuum registers and have an HVAC technician come deep clean the rest. When air ducts aren’t clean, there’s potential for a clog.

Clogged ventilation forces air back into your furnace, causing your furnace to work twice as hard to heat your home. This can damage the furnace and create an overabundance of gas buildup in an effort to continue heating the furnace.

Make an Appointment Today

If you use gas appliances in your home or business, you’re at risk of an accident related to carbon monoxide. Here in Ambler, homeowners trust PlumbPRO Services. We work with families and business owners across the city. Call today to learn more about our available services.